FAQ’s

Interesting Facts about Montana Mines:

1. Where are the mines located?

Click the image for a larger version. Click here for a printable map.

2. Montana Mining Association Mines

Troy Mine (Cu, Ag) is located Northwest of Missoula near Libby. Troy Mine (Genesis, Inc.)  is owned and operated by Revett Minerals, Inc
Rock Creek Mine (Rock Creek Resources) (Cu, Ag) is  located in the Cabinet Mountains near Noxon is a wholly owned subsidiary of Revett Mineral and is continuing  efforts to permit their world-class strataform  copper-silver deposits.
Montanore Mine (Cu, Ag) is located southeast of Libby is owned by Mines Management, Inc. in the process of re-permitting.
Continental Pit (Cu, Mo, Ag) is located in Butte and is the largest metal mining operation in Montana. It is owned and operated by Montana Resources, LLP.
Glen Mill (Garnet and Tungsten) is located south of Melrose and is owned by Aprex Abrasives, Inc.
Regal and Treasure Mines (talc) is located near Dillon and is owned by Barretts Mineral, Inc., a subsidiary of Specialty Minerals, Inc.
Yellowstone Mine (talc) is located ten miles south of Cameron and is operated by Imerys Talc America, Inc,  under the Luzenac Group
Trident Quarry (Portland Cement) is located near Three Forks and is owned by Holcim, Inc.
Drumlumon Mine (Au, Ag) is located north of Helena and is owned by RX Gold and Silver, Inc.
Montana Tunnels Mine (Au, Pb, Zn, Ag) is located near Jefferson City and is operated by Montana Tunnels Mining, Inc.,  a subsidiary of Elkhorn Goldgields, LLC, is in standby mode.
Golden Sunlight Mine (Au, Ag) is located east of Whitehall and is owned by Barrick Gold Corporation.
Stillwater (Pd, Pt, Rh, Cu, Ni, co, Au) has two operations the Stillwater mine near Nye and the East Boulder mine near Big Timber. It is owned by the Stillwater Mining Company.

3. MMA minerals, metals and use

Gold (Au): Used in high tech-equipment that includes satellites, medical scanners, televisions, computers, cell phones as well as jewelry.
Copper (Cu): Used for piping, circuitry, high-tech equipment, and much more.
Silver (Ag):
Molybdenum (Mo): Used to make steel stronger, lighter, more rigid and less corrosive.
Palladium (Pd): Catalytic converters, electronics, dentistry, medicine, hydrogen purification, chemical application and ground water treatment.
Platinum (Pt): Catalytic converters and fine jewelry.
Nickel (Ni) Particularly useful for alloys it forms particularly with steel for stainless steel, catalyst for hydrogenation and is an essential nutrient for microorganisms and plants.
Cobalt (Co:) Used in the preparation of magnetic, wear-resistant and high-strength alloys. Colbalt gives a distinctive deep blue color to glass, ceramics, inks, paints and varnishes. It is also used as a radioactive tracer in the production of gamma rays. It is found in vitamin B12 and in organic forms is an active nutrient for bacteria, algae and fungi.
Rhodium (Rh): Used in catalytic converters, corrosive resistant coating, sterling silver and nuclear reactors.
Zinc (Zn): Makes many useful alloys including brass, used for galvanization, zinc oxide used for protective coating.
Elemental Lead (PB) lead-acid storage batteries, ammunition, glass, casting metals, sheet      metals etc…
Lime: Used  in environmental, metallurgy, construction, chemical/industrial applications.
Talc: Used in many industries such as paper making, plastic, paint and coatings, rubber, food, electric cable, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, ceramics,
Garnet: Gemstones and abrasives.
Tungsten: Tungsten’s many alloys have numerous applications: incandescent light bulb filaments, x-ray tubes, electrodes in TIG welding, compounds in tungsten used industrially as a catalysts

Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about Palladium

4. Mining Taxes at work

Mining operations in which metal or gems are extracted are subject to a license tax, which is based on the gross value of the product.  The value to which the tax rate is applied is the monetary payment the mining company receives from the metal trader, smelter, roaster or refinery.  Revenue collected is deposited in the General Fund (58%), Abandoned Mines Account (8.5 %), Reclamation and Development Grants Account (7 %), Hard Rock Mining Impact Trust Account (2.5%) and to counties identified as experiencing fiscal and economic impact (24%). Of that 24%   37.5% allocation to a County Trust Account and the remaining 62.5 % is allocated to County and School Districts.

In addition the mining community pays property, payroll and net proceeds taxes.

5. What steps does mining take to protect the environment?

Montana mining is subject to all Federal and State Environmental Laws and Regulations effecting hardrock mining. Before any ground is disturbed mining companies must ensure, by way of adequate bonding, complete reclamation and remediation of exploration and mining sites. In addition update bonding requirements are ensured throughout the life of the mine.